Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

“We’ve brought the anger of Aslan on us. That’s what comes of not attending to the signs. We’re under a curse, I expect. If it was allowed, it would be the best thing we could do, to take these knives and drive them into our own hearts.”
– Chapter 9, pg. 129

“That is old Father Time, who was once a King in Overland. And now he has sunk down into the Deep Realm and lies dreaming of all the things that are done in the upper world. Many sink down, and few return to the sunlit lands. They say he will wake at the end of the world.” – Chapter 10, pg. 146

“Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things – trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.” – Chapter 12, pg. 182

“Then he opened his mouth and blew. But this time they had no sense of flying through the air: instead, it seemed that they remained still, and the wild breath of Aslan blew away the ship and the dead King and the castle and the snow and the winter sky." – Chapter 16, pg. 237

“The opening into the hillside was left open, and often in hot summer days the Narnians go in there with ships and lanterns and down to the water and sail to and fro, singing, on the cool, dark underground sea, telling each other stories of the cities that lie fathoms deep below. If ever you have the luck to go to Narnia yourself, do not forget to have a look at those caves.”
– Chapter 16, pg. 243

So those were some of my favorite book quotes from The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis.

Wow, that Jill Pole girl really sucks at obeying simple instructions. I like how they still saved Prince Rilian (which, for some strange
reason, I kept reading in my head as Prince Ritalin) without following Aslan’s word. Allegory fail. I’m still not 100% sure what is meant by marsh-wiggle or Puddleglum, but I loved the description of the underworld. I’d like to see what Andrew Adamson and a little CGI could do with the Land of Bism. My only question: Where did this Queen of the Underland come from? How did she get into Narnia? C.S. Lewis never said anything about Digory and Polly bringing two witches into Narnia during The Magician’s Nephew. Ah, those tricky witches and their totalitarianism dictatorships...

No comments: