Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

“Do you think I care if Aslan dooms me to death? That would be nothing, nothing at all. Would it not be better to be dead than to have this horrible fear that Aslan has come and is not like the Aslan we have believed in and longed for?”– Chapter 3, pg. 30

“The Sons and Daughters of Adam and Eve were brought out of their own strange world into Narnia only at times when Narnia was stirred and upset, but you mustn’t think it was always like that. In between their visits there were hundreds and thousands of years when peaceful King followed peaceful King ‘till you could hardly remember their names or count their numbers, and there was really hardly anything to put into the history books.” – Chapter 8, pg. 99

“Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy.” – Chapter 8, pg. 103

“The spreading blackness was not a cloud at all: it was simply emptiness. The black part of the sky was the part in which there were no stars left. All the stars were falling: Aslan had called them home.” – Chapter 14, pg. 173

“I hoped that it might go on forever. I knew our world couldn’t, but I did think Narnia might. I saw it begin. I did not think I would live to see it die.”
– Chapter 14, pg. 182

“For us, this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.” – Chapter 16, pg. 211

So those were some of my favorite book quotes from The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis.

Finally done with Narnia! I was getting tired of reading children’s books. It makes no sense for Aslan to call on a bunch of kids to save his country. Why not John McClane or Jack Bauer? And what enjoyment do they get out of
visiting Narnia anyway? The world is three hundred years behind on technology. If some centaur told me to skin and gut my own dinner I’d be like, 'No thanks, take me to KFC, please.' I did, however, enjoy how the last few chapters tied everything together. James McAvoy (er, I mean Mr. Tumnus) even made an appearance! By this point in the series, despite my embarrassingly limited knowledge of Christian fairy tales, I figured Lewis was going to pull some apocalyptic stunt. But I wasn't expecting his vision of heaven to be so confusing: Narnias within Narnias, Englands within Englands? Let’s just get to the explanation of how they all died. Oh, train derailment. I guess technology isn’t so great after all…

No comments: