Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis

“If I hadn’t believed in Aslan before, I would now. Back there among the Humans the people who laughed at Aslan would have laughed at stories about Talking Beasts and Dwarfs. Sometimes I did wonder if there really was such a person as Aslan: but then sometimes I wondered if there were really people like you. Yet there you are.” – Chapter 5, pg. 70

“Lucy had the feeling (as you sometimes have when you are trying to remember a name or a date and almost get it, but it vanishes before you really do) that she had just missed something: as if she had spoken to the trees a split second too soon or a split second too late, or used all the right words except one, or put in one word that was just wrong.”
– Chapter 9, pg. 118

“They even thought they had struck an old path; but if you know anything about woods, you will know that one is always finding imaginary paths. They disappear after about five minutes and then you think you have found another (and hope it is not another but more of the same one) and it also disappears, and after you have been well lured out of your right direction you realize that none of them were paths at all.” – Chapter 9, pg. 120

“I’m hunger. I’m thirst. Where I bite, I hold till I die, and even after death they must cut out my mouthful from my enemy’s body and bury it with me. I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze. I can drink a river of blood and not burst. Show me your enemies.”
– Chapter 12, pg. 166

“You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve. And that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth. Be content.” – Chapter 15, pg. 218

So those were some of my favorite book quotes from The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis.

I haven’t watched the movie yet, but now I am curious to see what Hollywood does with the storyline. Prince Caspian’s rise to “leader of the rebellion”
seemed much too rushed. And Lewis certainly has a way of ditching the big battle to describe some boring side story (this time Aslan skipped around Narnia fixing water wells). I already dislike apples (to be specific: whole apples; sliced apples are fine), so all the apple eating they did in this book put me off a bit. Although, I liked when Aslan explained that the Telmarines are actually the descendants of shipwrecked pirates from our own world. I definitely rolled my eyes when right after this explanation, Aslan tells Peter and Susan they aren’t allowed back into Narnia because they are getting too old. Yes, older than a bunch of middle-aged pirates.

No comments: