Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

“Everything seems simple until you think about it. Why is love intensified by absence? Long ago, men went to sea, and women waited for them, standing on the edge of the water, scanning the horizon for the tiny ship. Now I wait for Henry. He vanishes unwillingly, without warning. I wait for him. Each moment that I wait feels like a year, an eternity. Each moment is as slow and transparent as glass. Through each moment I can see infinite moments lined up, waiting. Why has he gone where I cannot follow?”
– Chapter 1, pg. 1

"Think for a minute, darling: in fairy tales it's always the children who have the fine adventures. The mothers have to stay at home and wait for the children to fly in the window."
– Chapter 8, pg. 126

"Don't you think that it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?" – Chapter 13, pg. 231

"I never understood why Clark Kent was so hell bent on keeping Lois Lane in the dark." – Chapter 36, pg. 446

“Sleep erases all differences: then and now; dead and living. I am past hunger, past vanity, past caring. This morning I caught sight of my face in the bathroom mirror. I am paper skinned, gaunt, yellow, ring-eyed, hair matted. I look dead. I want nothing.” – Chapter 44, pg. 501

So those were some of my favorite book quotes from The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

Is there an editor in the house? This book did not need to be 518 pages. I actually started and stopped this book months ago because I didn't like the idea of a 40-year-old man visiting his future wife as a six year old. Naked. Did
you get that? Naked. Publisher: This has best seller written all over it! Me: ...Really? Only my love for Rachel McAdams forced me to give Niffenegger a second chance. At least she would occasionally whip out some crazy/disturbing situation right in the middle of a boring chapter. You know, some so-sick-it-sticks plot twist (say that five times fast). Watch, in 2025 I'll be sitting on some train to Vienna minding my own business when out of nowhere I'll remember how Henry's future self gave himself a blow job or how Clare had a miscarriage because their baby time traveled out of her uterus and ended up a bloody mess in the bed next to her. Joy.

No comments: